Tuesday, October 13, 2009

BP12_20093_Web2.0_Tools_Screentoaster

http://www.screentoaster.com


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Screenflow. It is such a great tool for creating tutorials—I think it’s my favorite tool I’ve learned about so far in this program.


The only problem is that I’ve been wanting to create tutorials for some of the software that we have at school, but I don’t own on my personal computer. For example, SmartMusic. I’ve been toying with the idea of purchasing this program for myself just so I can create tutorials using Screenflow. But I’ve not been that excited about spending the money. Then, I found Screentoaster.


Screentoaster is a free, online tool that allows you to capture your screen in real time. This is exactly what I need! I can use it to create tutorials for Smartmusic (without having to spend the money to purchase it for myself). I can also use it when I have time to create tutorials at school, instead of always having to do it from home on my Mac.


Screentoaster allows you to record all or part of your screen. Users also have the option to add audio and an embedded webcam to their videos. The easy to use toolbox allows addition of subtitles and editing of audio.


Videos created using Screentoaster can be downloaded for offline viewing (or further editing in other software), shared via e-mail, or uploaded to Youtube, social networking sites, blogs, or web pages. Videos created in Screentoaster are pretty high quality, but the file size is not too large.


In playing with Screentoaster, I noticed that the audio recording and screen recording aren’t always in sync. It’s easy to compensate for this, though, by moving the mouse after you speak.


For a free tool, I think that Screentoaster is very powerful. It seems very easy to use, and I plan on using it for creating and sharing tutorials, demos, and lectures (for my students AND my colleagues), when Screenflow is not available to me. Once I’ve used it more and have played with all of its features, I could even see having students use it to create their own tutorials and demos!


Here's an example of a movie I made using Screentoaster:



References:


Screentoaster (2008-2009). Retrieved October 11, 2009 from http://www.screentoaster.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Therese,
    After reading your blog, I had no choice but to test our Screentoaster for myself. What a cool name, who wouldn't want to use it. I love Screenflow as well, but if it wasn't for this program I would have never purchased the software. Now I have a free option that I can use at school or on any other computer.

    I love how Screentoaster is compatible with all of the other Web 2.0 tools, that is a huge convenience. If audio/video syncing is the only issue I can live with that. Most of the time with Screenflow I end up importing it into iMovie to edit it anyway. I also usually use Garageband to create my voiceovers, so for a free program Screenflow is the way to go.

    Also, and I feel like I'm repeating myself, but this is great for students to use because they can use it at home to work on projects. This is a great way for students to show their work or practice explaining how they came up with their final project. There are so many options to using this program, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I will have to look at this as well! It is hard not to repeat yourself when you are finding great tools! I am glad you were able to find things you can use!

    ReplyDelete