Thursday, October 8, 2009

BP8_2009102_Web2.0_Tools--My comment

The first Web 2.0 tool that I investigated is called Noteflight. The program is basically a free online version of Finale. Noteflight allows users to create their own compositions and then share them with users if they choose. While Noteflight does not have all of the bells of whistles that Finale has, it has everything that a beginning composer would need, all absolutely free. You can save a copy of your piece and edit it anywhere that you have Internet access. You can also print your composition when you are finished. Noteflight also allows users to export the file as a midi or wav file. There are two options for midi export, the first allows users to transport the file into another music writing program such as Finale and the second saves the files as musical performance track, to be played in iTunes. Midi files can also be imported into Garageband to finalize the final performance version. Composers can also publish their scores to their websites. The only flaw that I have noticed so far is that you cannot use a midi keyboard to record your ideas. All the notes have to be entered manually, but there are keyboard shortcuts that make it easy to compose.

I wish I would have known about this tool last year, because I would have used it in my Music Technology class.. My students used Garageband to compose their music, but I would have loved to teach music notation with them. Finale can be very expensive software to purchase and while I love using it and it’s a wonderful tool, it’s not financially ideal to have many versions for students. Because Noteflight is a Web 2.0 tool that’s Internet based, students do not need to use the same computer each class in order to continue their work. Also, students can work on their compositions from home. With other composition software, students would need to have the software at home to work on their projects, but not with Noteflight. The first step would be to teach the students about the basics of notation and then have them work on Noteflight to compose within specific guidelines of the project. For instance, one project focused on ABA form and composing using Noteflight would have enhanced the idea of form for the students more so that only using Garageband. After the compositions were complete, I would have asked the students to export the files and import them into Garageband as the second part of their project. Once in Garageband students could arrange tracks, add loops or beats, and finalize their composition. The online collaboration aspect of Noteflight allows for students to work together and create group compositions. This is a wonderful Web 2.0 tool that I will definitely start using in my classroom.

Posted by Alicia Kalb at 11:52 AM

1 comments:


Therese Josephson said...


Hey Alicia,

Thanks for telling me about this tool. I will definitely be using it in my classroom, as well.
 I hadn't thought about the fact that exporting a Noteflight composition as a midi file would allow me to then open it in Finale. This is pretty awesome--if I want to compile or edit student projects, I can do it in my beloved Finale!



I think your idea about integrating Noteflight and GarageBand is pretty cool. I will visit your blog to "steal" more of your lesson ideas soon. :)

 
October 8, 2009 2:10 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment