Wednesday, October 14, 2009

BP13_2009103_Web2.0_Tools_Lala


© Lala (http://www.lala.com)


As a music educator, I play music examples for my class all of the time. Sometimes, they are examples of the piece we are playing. Sometimes they are examples for style, form, or of pieces that somehow relate to a concept that we are studying. Sometimes they are popular music, in an attempt to get kids to see the connection between orchestra class and the music that “moves” them.


In any case, I see Lala as a great tool for me. Lala allows users to, for free, upload all of the music on their computer. Then you can listen to the music from your library on any computer that has Internet access. This is great for me, as it can be a pain to burn a CD from my laptop every time I want my kids to hear a 30 second sample of a piece. The Lala Music Mixer even catalogues your music for you!


Furthermore, Lala allows you to sample, for free, an entire clip before you purchase it. There are over 7 million to choose from, many of which are classical music. This is nice because sometimes when I’m looking for something on iTunes I’m not really sure what I’m getting when I click purchase. And it only costs $.10 to purchase a song for unlimited listening on the Internet. (You can pay more to be able to download it, but paying a dime to be able to listen to a song from any computer that has an Internet connection is a great deal!)


Lala would probably also be a great tool for teachers who had students create slideshows, podcasts, or movies regularly. Kids could create an account and upload their music from home, and then have access to it at school.


There is a networking aspect to Lala, as well. Users can search and discover new music from other users, be it their friends or music experts that are also using the site.


References


Lala. (2009). Retrieved October 14, 2009 from http://www.lala.com



No comments:

Post a Comment